Sunday, October 23, 2022

Book Review: The Storm's Call for Prayers: Selections from Shaikh Ayaz by Shaikh Ayaz, Asif Farrukhi (Translator) and Shah Mohammed Pirzada (Translator)

 

This book presents an English translation of some of the selected works of Shaikh Ayaz, the renowned poet from Sind. Ayaz was born in 1923 in Shikarpur. Throughout his life Ayaz was faced numerous challenges. He was banned by the government, imprisoned and declared a traitor. Later, he was also given Sitara-i-Imtiaz (an award by the government in recognition to his services). Initially, Shaikh Ayaz was a lawyer based in Sukkur. Later, during Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto’s government Shaikh Ayaz was appointed as the Vice Chancellor of Sind University.

According to the author Ayaz moved from his left-of-the-center leanings and later began taking interest in religion and metaphysics. Ayaz was also a translator and had translated Shah Jo Risalo in Urdu. From this translated work I wish I could quote all of my favorite ones, but below I do quote some of the short ones.

 

Posthumous Reputation

“I know a time will come

When suddenly my poetry will be washed by the moon in the rivers of the sky

I know that time will also come when there will be no prejudice against my language

Everybody will be enveloped in my fragrance

When the town and the path will become one

When my ideal will come to claim me

I know that time will also come

When you will cry over my buried dust hearing some traveler sing my song.”

 

Next Crop

“You must remember this

When I am dead and gone

And there appears a new poet,

Then it will be like

The sugarcane field

When after one crop

The new one sprouts by itself

From the roots of the old.”

 

Bird

A poet is a bird from the myths of old

 All wings and no feet.

It keeps on flying

 Till it drops dead.”

 

Some of the others from Shaikh Ayaz’s work which I like include Home, Rain and Thunder, Write, The Other Woman, Footsteps to the Sea, A Loss of Hair, Chameleon in the Fort and Farewell to the Earth. Anyone who wants to explore the works of a poet writing on different themes, Shaikh Ayaz should definitely be on your list.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment